Saturday, May 23, 2009

Don’t overdrive technology

Technology is important and very useful. It increases productivity, cuts down costs, brings in economies of scale etc. All of this is fine. I remember a cartoon in which two people are chatting (electronic), sitting in cabins next to each other! Sounds funny, but that is the power of technology. In my opinion technology has to be used taking a good balance between the human aspects and the convenience. When I dial a customer care, I listen to all that automated voices asking me to press such and such button making me feel very uncomfortable. I am ok with this in general, but there are situations when you want to hear a human being on the other side to clearly understand my issue and provide help, instead of the recorded message repeating the same sequence. Technology should not be used as mother of all solutions.

No comments: